It may look like I'm going slow but I'm just getting started.

Monday, June 15, 2009

And I Shall Call Her Ruby

Last week was an unintentional rest week. I've been reading about training for triathlons and most of the plans have a week once a month or so when you reduce your mileage and intensity. Sort of a working rest so you are stronger in the coming weeks. So let's just say I was doing that. I really felt worn out last week. I would wake up exhausted and getting out of bed for any reason (especially exercise) was difficult. I did manage two days of Couch to 5K Week 8. But I have made a huge discovery. Walking breaks are my friend. I was having a very hard time psychologically dealing with going 28 minutes straight. So I took Jeff Galloway's advice to heart and started doing walking breaks during my jog. I started with a four minute jog and 1 minute walk, alternating seven times for a total of 28 minutes jogging. So that counts. The next time I went for a jog I decided to keep going until I jogged 3.1. I do have that 5K coming up so I thought it would be a good idea to see if I can do it. And I made it in exactly 38 minutes. Not much of a cushion for the race (with the altitude and all) but I'll take it. I'm also starting to get less rigid about the time goal. I know I can do it. So why not just have fun? I will give it my all and see where that gets me.

In other oh so exciting news, I spent my life savings on a new road bike. I am the proud owner of a Fuji Roubaix. I call her Ruby. She is red and pretty and I love her. Now I just have to learn to ride her. My husband (and children but that's a different blog) accompanied me to the bike shop. He is worse than I am when it comes to upgrading from your original plan. Truthfully the salesman didn't even show us the bike we came in for (it was crap evidently) but he made me try out the Roubaix "for size." Now the first law of marketing is getting the consumer to touch the product. Because if they do they're hooked. And then I actually rode the Roubaix and another lower end Fuji ladies bike. Emma liked the ladies bike because it was blue with pretty flowers (because Lord knows women don't want to actually go out and kick ass on a bike without pretty girly flowers). She said the flowers would make me happy if I didn't win. And I assured her I would not win. So maybe I need the flowers? But I took the Roubaix. Being the long legged and apparently long armed lady I am, I don't need a ladies bike fit and was very comfortable with the mens. I also bought my very first pair of clipless pedals and shoes. The bike tech advised me to just get used to the bike before putting the shoes on. Maybe he was saying that because I could not twist my left foot out no matter how hard I tried. But he adjusted the tension on the pedal and it was much easier. I'm still a little apprehensive about trying out the pedals. I know I'm going to fall over. The bike tech told me it wouldn't hurt me. I hope he knows what he's talking about. I look forward to taking Ruby out for many long rides. I finally feel like I can actually do this.

1 comment: