It may look like I'm going slow but I'm just getting started.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day One

I have been working out on and off for the last ten years. I will get in moderate shape and then something comes up (usually another child) and I have to start all over. I have done Weight Watchers for longer than I care to remember. It's not like I've lost 30 pounds and gained it all back. I've just lost a little, stayed the same, lost a little more. At this point in my life I am 30 pounds less than my highest weight after my daughter was born in 1999. I was over 200 pounds. I never really felt that big. It sounds so much worse when you say it. I'm 5'8" so I guess it was a little more evenly distributed. But I was not healthy. And I ate to feel better. I ate to feel less depressed, which depressed me even more. I went through a separation and divorce (and then remarriage) and I lost a little but gained it all back when I was happy and married again. Pregnant with my second child in 2003 I developed gestational diabetes and had to watch my carbs and weight. I was probably the healthiest I had been in a long time. I had my boy and then got pregnant again a year later. Developed gestational diabetes again but didn't have as much control. After giving birth to my third child, I was too exhausted to even think about exercise or eating right. I hovered around 190. I finally decided enough was enough in 2007 and started training with my friend to walk a half marathon. I ended up losing about 20 pounds. I have been between 175 and 170 for a year or more. I did make it below 170 briefly by using the South Beach Diet principles but I became complacent and gained some back. I am now 174 and exercising 5-6 days a week and recording my Points every day. I don't have "free days." My mindset is starting to change. I am starting to make a lifestyle change. I have signed up for a 5K in June and a mini triathlon in October. And then there's the Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk. 60 miles in 3 days. Slow miles but 60 miles. I had to start this new blog because I figured people were tired of hearing about my exercise etc. on my other blogs. So hopefully I will learn something, share something and accomplish something.

No comments:

Post a Comment