It may look like I'm going slow but I'm just getting started.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Couch to 5K Week 5

I have just managed to complete Week 5 of C25K. If you are familiar with the plan, you know this is the dum dum dum 20 minute jog. I didn't really have any doubts about finishing it. I have reached this point before. I just really did not want to get out of bed. Friday nights are our neighborhood happy hour and I always end up going to bed way too late. Even my kids were still up and going after 11:00. But then bright and early at 7:00 my smallest wakes up and says, "It's good morning time." No, it definitely is not "good morning" time. But I eventually extricated myself from the covers and managed to get my workout clothing on. I know that if I just start out slow in my warm up I'll eventually feel up to the task. I just have to let myself try it out a little first. In order to make myself not look at my Garmin constantly, I told myself I could not look at the time until 4 songs had played. This worked well because after the 4th song I only had two minutes left. I was slow, glacially slow, but my aim was to just keep my feet turning over. I slip between a 13 to 12 minute mile but sometimes I get real speedy and look down to discover I'm doing 11 and a half minute miles. Seriously, I feel like a turtle. I know I'm supposed to speed up after I get the thirty minutes of constant running down but I sometimes wonder how exactly that will happen. I have a bad habit of wanting it all NOW! But I'll just have to settle for working for it. I have to keep telling myself that at least I'm doing this. I could just be sitting on the couch eating cupcakes. Oh wait, that was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment