It may look like I'm going slow but I'm just getting started.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Swiss chard...how I love thee.


I am inundated with winter/early spring vegetables from my CSA (community supported agriculture) weekly delivery. There's only so much you can do with turnips and radishes. Winter is a lean season for produce, even here in sunny AZ. But there's one vegetable that continues to amaze and delight. Yes, Swiss chard. I'm not a picky eater and I love trying new things. Yet I had never sampled Swiss chard before. Admittedly my family will not be tempted. That just leaves more for me. Apparently Swiss chard is a "vegetable valedictorian," whatever that means. I suppose it's the head of its class or something. I was going to list the benefits of Swiss chard but they were too numerous and I am lazy so I'll include a link. Below you will find two delightful recipes:

My most favorite recipe comes from AllRecipes. It's sauteed Swiss chard with parmesan cheese. So good. I would start with this one if you are unfamiliar with or hesitant to try the chard.

The second is a recipe from my CSA box:

Tangy Swiss Chard with Slivered Carrots

1/4 cup olive oil
2 large carrots (3/4 pound) halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal
4 pounds Swiss chard, stems chopped, leaves cut into 1 inch strips
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the olive oil in a very large skillet. Add the carrots and cook over moderately high heat until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Add the chard stems and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the chard leaves and toss until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice vinegar, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Hopefully these recipes will make you a Swiss chard lover too. Now if I could just figure out how to love turnips.

No comments:

Post a Comment